Chad King’s practice has an emphasis in the areas of technology transactions, Internet law, intellectual property law (including trademarks and copyrights), corporate law, and business law. He regularly negotiates on behalf of companies ranging from startups to Fortune 10 in the acquisition of mission-critical, enterprise-level technology, and professional services.
Chad advises businesses on licensing, intellectual property and privacy issues related to technology and the Internet. He also regularly negotiates and drafts consulting and information technology services agreements, outsourcing agreements, license agreements, development agreements, manufacturing and distribution agreements, media and content agreements, and advertising and sponsorship agreements.
In addition to his legal knowledge, Chad developed several websites focused on topics such as privacy and information technology security issues, legal and business issues related to e-commerce, and legal technology tools. He is also a frequent writer and speaker on legal subjects related to technology and the Internet.
Areas of Emphasis
- Technology and intellectual property contracts and licensing
- Professional service transactions, including consulting and development
- Internet and e-Commerce contracts and transactions
- Marketing and advertising contracts and transactions
- Product acquisition and sales transactions
- Open source code issues
- Global head of Technology Transactions and Data Security at K&L Gates, 2010-2014
- Head of the Outsourcing and Technology Solutions Group at Hughes & Luce, 2004-2008
- Intern for Commissioner Michael Goldsmith, U.S. Sentencing Commission, Washington, D.C., 1995-1996
- Judicial intern for Judge Norman H. Jackson, Utah Court of Appeals, Salt Lake City, 1994
- Named among the leading Information Technology Lawyers in Chambers & Partners USA Client’s Guide, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Named in Best Lawyers in America, Information Technology Law, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Named as a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Named as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Texas Rising Star, Law & Politics Magazine and Texas Monthly, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008
- IAM Licensing 250, 2010 and 2011/2012
- “500 New Stars, New Worlds,” LawDragon.com, 2006
- Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine, 2006
- American Bar Association, Member, ABA Committee on Cyberspace Law
- Dallas Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Program Committee Member for the International Conference on Electronic Commerce Research
- Member, J. Reuben Clark Society
- Volunteer, Texas C-Bar (pro bono)
- Volunteer, Boy Scouts of America
- Member, DFW Management Society
- Founder, Association of Technology Law Professionals
Representative Publications and Presentations
- “Compliance & Technology,” presented at the ACA Fall Compliance Conference, October 2013
- “Legal Issues in Social Media, Advertising & Marketing,” presented to various companies, October 2012-February 2013
- “Bite the Wax Tadpole: Seven Essential Considerations in International Contracts,” presented to various companies, September-October 2012
- “Digital Media: New Business, Old Laws, and the Digitization of Everything,” presented at various companies and conferences, April 2012
- “Compliance & Legal Issues in the Cloud,” presented at the Institutional Investor’s Legal Forum Winter Roundtable, February 2012
- “Legal & Compliance Aspects of Cloud Computing,” presented at the Financial Technology Forum Fall 2011 Workshop, October 2011
- “Open Source Due Diligence in M&A Transactions,” presented at the Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 2009
- “Everything You Need to Know About IT Contracts,” presented to various companies, February-March 2008
- “Pretexting and Privacy,” presented to the International Association of Privacy Professionals, February 2007
- “Technology Law: An Overview of What We Do,” chapter published in Inside the Minds: Technology Law Settlements and Negotiations, Aspatore Books,
- “Devils, Penguins and GNUs: An Overview of Open Source and Free Software,” presented to various groups, September-October 2006
- “The Other M&A Deal: Issues in Marketing and Advertising Transactions,” chapter published in Inside the Minds: Advertising & Marketing Law , Aspatore Books, November 2005
- Represent major financial services and retail companies in outsourcing services to third parties.
- Counsel large cloud services providers on structuring services agreements.
- Represent clients in moving software and services to cloud-based solutions.
- Represent companies in acquiring various cloud-based mission-critical services, including storage, office suites, email, and collaboration tools.
- Represent banks, mortgage companies and financial services companies in acquiring, licensing, and implementing backend and front-end software and cloud services.
- Represent world’s largest video streaming and DVD rental company in acquisition and implementation of technology and professional services for warehouse & inventory management, financial accounting systems, DVD distribution, customer service, store communications, website hosting & disaster recovery services
- Represent network security companies such in technology acquisition and product sales transactions.
- Assist with technology acquisition and implementation for cloud service providers.
- Handle intellectual property aspects of various mergers and acquisitions.
- Represent hospitals and medical clinics in the acquisition, implementation, and integration of mission-critical software, technologies and services.
- Counsel a variety of medical technology providers on licensing, consulting and other issues related to their products and services.
- Represent a large retail corporation in launching its online contact lens store.
- J.D., Brigham Young University, Clark Law School, 1996, (cum laude, Editor-in-Chief, BYU Journal of Public Law)
- B.A., Brigham Young University, 1993
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Utah