Todd Fisher advises large multinational corporations, middle market businesses and emerging companies in negotiating, structuring, and drafting their commercial agreements, with an emphasis on outsourcing agreements, information technology services agreements, cloud computing agreements, technology licensing agreements and telecom agreements. Prior to founding King & Fisher, Todd was an associate at Jones Day, and a Partner at K&L Gates.
Todd is a founder of the Association of Technology Law Professionals, a member-based organization of in-house lawyers who are responsible for technology, outsourcing, procurement, and similar commercial transactions at their companies. The group was formed to allow in-house lawyers to share best practices and discuss trends and issues in technology, outsourcing, and commercial transactions.
Todd also was a founder of The Emerging Growth Series, an interactive seminar series aimed at providing entrepreneurs and emerging growth companies with the resources and information needed to grow their business. The series, which was sponsored by K&L Gates, Ernst & Young, JPMorgan Chase and STARTech Foundation, ran for more than four years.
Todd was a founder of Legal Cloud Central (www.legalcloudcentral.com), a blog focused on issues and developments involving cloud computing (Software as a Service (“SaaS”), Infrastructure as a Service (“IaaS”), and Platform as a Service (“PaaS”)).
AREAS OF EMPHASIS:
- Outsourcing (ITO and BPO)
- Technology Transactions
- Cloud Computing (SaaS, IaaS, and Xaas)
- Commercial Transactions
Todd has received numerous recognitions throughout his career, including:
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2017 Dallas/Fort Worth Information Technology “Lawyer of the Year”
- Named in Best Lawyers in America, Information Technology Law, 2008-2016
- Named among the leading Information Technology and Outsourcing Lawyers in Chambers & Partners:
- Technology & IT Outsourcing (Texas), Chambers USA, 2006-2016
- Outsourcing (National), Chambers USA, 2007-2016
- Outsourcing (Global), Chambers Global, 2010-2016
- Texas Super Lawyer, Law & Politics Magazine and Texas Monthly, 2010-2016
- Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine, 2006
- Texas Rising Star, Law & Politics Magazine and Texas Monthly, 2005-2008
- Voted one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2015-2016
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Cloud Computing – Lessons for In-House Lawyers,” presented to client’s in-house legal team in New York, August 2014
- “Legal Issues in Cloud Computing,” presented to the Dallas Bar Association’s Corporate Counsel Section, June 5, 2012
- Panelist at SMU’s 19th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium – “Cloud Computing: Lessons from the Trenches”, October 14, 2011
- Panelist at Dallas Technology Summit – “Security in an Era of Cloud Computing”, August 25, 2011
- Panelist at Alsbridge’s “Cloud Sourcing Summit for CIOs” in Chicago, April 12, 2011
- “Legal Issues in Cloud Computing Transactions,” presented to client’s in-house legal and procurement departments in Dallas, November 13, 2009
- “Similarities and Differences Between Traditional Outsourcing and Software as a Service,” presented at client’s worldwide legal summit in Seattle, May 11, 2009
- “Contracts 101,” presented to the American Electronics Association CFO Forum, May 23, 2006
- “Issues in International Outsourcing Transactions,” presented at the Seventh International Conference on Electronic Commerce Research, June 11, 2004
- “Protecting Trade Secrets,” E-Commerce 2.0 Seminar, Dallas, Texas, 2002
- “Amateurism and Intercollegiate Athletics: The Double Standard of Section 188.8.131.52.1,” The Sports Lawyers Journal, Spring 1996
- State Bar of Texas
- Computer & Technology Section
- Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Bar Association
- Computer Law Section
- Intellectual Property Section
- Founder, Emerging Growth Series for Entrepreneurs
- Founding Member, Dallas Leadership Council
- Founder, Association of Technology Law Professionals
- J.D., Southern Methodist University, 1995 (cum laude, SMU Law Review, Order of the Coif)
- B.B.A., Finance, University of Texas, 1992 (with honors)
- Represent multinational telecommunications company in structuring and negotiations of a seven-year Managed Network Services Agreement with a major telecommunications carrier. The agreement, valued between $4.5 and $5 billion, involves the provider assuming responsibility for the day-to-day services, provisioning, and maintenance of the customer’s CDMA, iDEN, and wireline networks.
- Represent IT service provider in a strategic agreement to offer cloud-based unified communications and contact center technology for enterprises as a reseller.
- Represent IT outsourcing service provider in structuring and negotiations of its multi-billion dollar global information technology outsourcing relationship with major U.S. airline.
- Represent New York luxury retailer in all aspects of its IT infrastructure procurement.
- Representation Fortune 100 equipment company in all aspects of its global Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and Information Technology Outsourcing (ITO) initiatives.
- Represent one of the world’s largest online retailers in procurement of various IT products and services.
- Represent multinational telecommunications company in outsourcing its human resources operations for its U.S., Canada, Brazil and Mexico operations.
- Advise Fortune 500 software company in transitioning its business model from a local-install based licensing model to a cloud-based services model.
- Represent IT outsourcing service provider in structuring and negotiations of its information technology outsourcing agreement with major energy company involving the customer’s applications, desktops, midrange servers and communications networks.
- Represent multinational banking and financial services company and manufacturing company in structuring and negotiations of the outsourcing of various real estate functions, including facilities management, lease administration, and project management.